Thursday 11 November 2010


Thomas Hooper
c. 1898-1916

Frederick Andrews
c.1897-1918

'For your tomorrows we gave our todays'

Both my grandfathers fought in and survived WW1 but both lost their younger only brothers - named above.

My son celebrated his eighteenth birthday on Tuesday. I can't and don't want to think how it would feel to wave him off to war.

This morning at 11.00 I remembered not only those who fought and fell (on both sides of the trenches - most of the 'enemy' didn't want to be there either), but also the mothers, wives, sisters and daughters who watched their loved ones go.

blessings,
Andi

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Andi for sharing these touching thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't it a perfectly autumnal Rememberence Day.

    I stood by our front gate overlooking the trees in the park that surrounds the Big House and thought of all the boys and men from this Estate who went off with such high hopes of something different being something better, and all those left behind to mourn.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think about my grandad on Armistice Day. He fought at the battle of the Somme and used to tell me stories about driving a van during that war too. I think it's important to think about out service men and women abroad at the moment. I'm proud of them.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always think of my mother who survived the bombing of her village in Italy during World War II. Their home was destroyed and they lived in caves for 8 months while the Germans and Canadians battled it out for possession of the town. It seems that we are all touched in some way by war in our family histories. Thanks for sharing yours and thanks for visiting History and Women. I love your blog and am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andi-glad you're back! A sweet post and I love your costume. Also your poignant words about war and how it affects so many.
    gail

    ReplyDelete

I'd be really pleased to hear from you.